Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Training Log, November 2-8: An Inauspicious Start

Annnnnnd it's gone! As you can see below, my phone died. Really badly. Which makes it impossible to get my HRV readings, and more of a hassle to record my subjective metrics. Not the greatest way to kick off my off season training given that I'm writing a blog detailing all of these data points, but shit happens. My new phone should be here next Monday.



Monday
My triathlon team, Zoom Multisport, had a town hall meeting so this was planned as an off day. Additionally it was a friend and teammates birthday which means going out for a beer to celebrate. My body felt the workout I did yesterday more than I would have expected, but was still only lightly sore.

Morning HR: 52 bpm
Afternoon HR: 53 bpm
Soreness: 7
Stress: 9
Fatigue: 9
Mood: 9
Hydration: 3
Sleep: 8 hours 45 minutes

Breakfast: Oatmeal, whole grain English muffin w/ peanut butter, vitamin d pill
Lunch: 1/2 bag soylent, madeleine
Dinner: 1/2 bag soylent, 1 beer


Tuesday
I was planning on getting a 2 hour trainer ride in on my new Tacx Vortex smart trainer, but getting it built up and paired with Trainer Road was more difficult than expected. I ended up only being able to do a 1 hour ride and did 2x10 single leg dead lifts w/ 10 lbs dumbbells to top it off. The ride didn't feel hard at all, but my heart rate was crazy high for the wattage and perceived effort even though I'm fully . Also, I haven't lifted more than a handful of times since last winter, so I'm taking it really slowly. Feeble, but this is where I am right now.

Morning HR: 50 bpm
Afternoon HR: 48 bpm
Soreness: 9
Stress: 9
Fatigue: 9
Mood: 9
Sleep: 7 hours 15 minutes

Ride: 1 hour, 161 NP, 569 kJ, 148 bpm average

Breakfast: 4.5 oz Greek yogurt, 0.5 oz honey, 0.3 oz pecans,
Snack: Madeleine, granny smith apple, banana, 2 hard boiled eggs
Lunch: Teriyaki salmon, sesame chicken, green beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, mozzarella, rasberry honest tea
Snack: 2 tbsp peanut butter
Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, sriracha, green beans, raw spinach, pasta w/ vodka sauce


Wednesday
I woke up feeling a lot better than I expected. My heart rate wasn't jacked, up, and my legs were barely sore. I did succeed in getting my planned 2 hour ride in, but it was once again fairly terrible from a wattage/heart rate perspective. The upside is that I'm really happy to be spending time in the saddle again, even if it is on the trainer. I have to say that I'm really pleased with my investment in the Tacx Vortex, the thing works phenomenally well, and using it in ERG mode with TrainerRoad helps the time go by faster. I followed up the ride with 1x8 each leg lunges w/ 20 lbs dumb bells and lots of stretching.

Morning HR: 52 bpm
Afternoon HR: 58 bpm
Soreness: 8
Stress: 9
Mood: 9
Fatigue: 8
Sleep: 7 hours 45 minutes

Ride: 2 hours, 129 NP, 910 kJ, 123 bpm average

Breakfast: 150oz Greek yogurt, 10oz honey
Snack: Whole grain English muffin w/ peanut butter, vitamin D pill
Lunch: Mediterranean salad with beef & chicken shawarma, pita bread
Snack: Chocolate milk
Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, sriracha, raw spinach, Pasta w/ vodka sauce
Snack: Chocolate milk #2


Thursday
I woke up feeling yesterday's workout, which was the plan because my girlfriend is flying in today and I won't be getting a workout in.


Morning HR: 56 bpm
Afternoon HR: 50 bpm
Soreness: 6
Stress: 9
Mood: 10
Fatigue: 8
Sleep: 7 hours 40 minutes

Breakfast: 15g almonds, 15g pecans, 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices toast w/ butter, 3 pieces bacon
Snack: 5g almonds, 5g pecans
Lunch: 1/4 bag soylent
Dinner: Orzo with mushrooms, scallions, lemon & parsley. Mixed green salad. Portobello cap stuffed with vegan ricotta. Coconut milk zebra (vanilla & chocolate) milkshake
Dessert: Vegan citrus coconut cake


Friday
With the gf in town I only planned on getting in small lift and stretch. If I feel good tomorrow I'll feel confident about doing a real leg day. Tonight we went out to celebrate the girlfriend's birthday (which is on Monday) so I had a couple beers to celebrate. My goodness I'm drinking an abnormally large amount this week...

Morning HR: 54 bpm
Afternoon HR: 54 bpm
Soreness: 8
Stress: 10
Mood: 10
Fatigue: 9
Sleep: 8 hours 10 minutes

Lift: 20 minute warmup on stationary bike, 1x 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 squats w/ 25 lbs plate, ass to grass, stretching.

Breakfast: Piece of cinnamon swirl toast with butter, tiny glass of orange juice, Chobani blueberry Greek yogurt
Lunch: Smoked salmon sandwich with cream cheese, pickled cabbage, & onion on a sea salt bagel
Snack: 1/4 bag soylent
Dinner: Pad thai, raw spinach
Bar: 2 pints of Guinness

Saturday
I was able to get in a great ride with a couple friends on an abnormally warm November day (62 degrees in November...wtf!?). I think that my heart rate was elevated because of last night's beers. Tonight is my triathlon teams end of year party, so there are more beers in my near future.

Morning HR: 58
Afternoon HR: 
Soreness: 7
Stress: 10
Mood: 10
Fatigue: 7

Sleep: 7 hours 10 minutes. Woke up in the middle of the night.
Ride: 2 hours 42 minutes, 43.8 miles, 217 NP, 1679 kJ, 143 bpm average

Breakfast: 1/4 bag soylent
Snack: Sweet potato Fuel for Fire
Lunch: Chicken pad thai
Dinner: Steamed asparagus, 1/2 rotisserie chicken, rice, sriracha
Zoom event: various hors d'oeuvres, 2 beers 


Saturday
Today I got in an awesome easy paced ride with a couple of the strongest cyclists I know. My heart rate is still getting super high very, very quickly, but it's getting better. I can easily hold a conversation with my heart rate in the 150-165 range, which is bizarre. That'll come down in due time. Tonight is the end of year party for my tri team, so I'll be up a bit late and drink a few beers.

Morning HR: 52
Afternoon HR: 48
Soreness: 8
Stress: 10
Mood: 10
Fatigue: 10

Sleep: 9 hours 30 minutes
Ride: 2 hours 42 minutes, 43.8 miles, 217 NP, 1679 kJ, 143 bpm average

Late Breakfast: 2 pumpkin pancakes w/ maple syrup, banana, blackerries
Snack: Popcorn lightly salted w/ butter, mandarin orange
Lunch: Chicken pad thai
Dinner: Steamed asparagus, 1/2 rotisserie chicken, rice, sriracha
Zoom event: various hors d'oeuvres, 2 beers 

No comments:

Post a Comment