Monday, November 2, 2015

Down the rabbit hole

I made a bet with a friend in college that I would never run further than a mile after graduation. I was convinced it would never happen. 

Obviously I lost that bet... as I'm now creating a blog focused on my triathlon training. I paid that friend in beer and thank the powers that be that the stakes weren't higher.

It may seem like a lot of work, but I started slow...

As a swimmer growing up, I wasn't a naturally talented athlete. However, I've always tried absurdly hard and I've learned that the effort can and does pay off. 

I was lucky to receive the guidance of a coach in high school. Under his tutelage I went from a middle-of-the-pack swimmer to a state champion and state record holding, All American swimmer in high school. I was privileged enough to continue my swimming career as a D1 athlete in college.

Of course when I graduated, I stepped away from swimming and focused my attention on work, friends, and "normal" pursuits like skydiving. Then, I got the itch to start competing again... and here we are, three years later.

I've started asking myself "how fast could I be if I truly dedicated myself to the training... within the constraints of a normal life." Normal as in a 9-5 job, girlfriend, and social life.

This blog will serve as the detailed record of every metric I'm capable of getting my hands on to document my training. I'll use the data to draw correlations between my training and whatever success or failures I have. While a study with sample size 1 isn't optimal, it should be an interesting journey. I know that some of this will not be valuable to you, but hopefully something that works for me will help you get faster too.

No comments:

Post a Comment